Saturday, February 21, 2015

Nursing Care of Patients With Asthma

This week I have created a summary chart of the role nurses have in caring for patients with asthma. I broke it down into 2 main categories: care of patients in emergency situations ("status asthmaticus"), and care for patients when they are not. This includes situations such as when a patient is visiting for a check-up appointment or once thier asthma symptoms have been relieved and they (and/or their family) are ready to talk about their symptoms, environment, lifestyle, etc. In non-emergency situations, nurses should work to plan holistic management.



For more information on asthma management, I found an article that I am really excited about from the Global Initiative for Asthma (2014) that I wish I would have found earlier in my blogging. It is titled, "Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention". While it talks about pretty much everything relating to asthma, it starts talks about emergency management from pages 63-72 and has many other sections that talk about nursing interventions for prevention, education, etc. I feel that it does a good job explaining care in a step-wise manner and relates them to nursing care priorities (airway, breathing, circulation, and so forth). You can find the link below, and I encourage you to also check out the Global Initiative for Asthma's website, as they are always posting new research with knowledge that will benefit nurses. Here is their link: http://www.ginasthma.org/

Source:
Global Initiative for Asthma (2014). "Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention." Retrieved from http://www.ginasthma.org/local/uploads/files/GINA_Report_2014_Aug12.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment